By National Maritime Museum, Richard Dunn, Rebekah Higgitt
Prompt for viewing on color machine. legit e-book of the nationwide Maritime Museum's "Ships, Clocks and Stars" exhibition.
300 years in the past, amidst transforming into frustration from the naval group and strain from the expanding significance of foreign alternate, the British govt handed the 1714 Longitude Act. It was once an try and remedy some of the most urgent difficulties of the age: how you can verify a ship's longitude (east-west place) at sea. With life-changing rewards on provide, the problem captured the imaginations and abilities of astronomers, expert craftsmen, politicians, seamen and satirists.
This fantastically illustrated booklet is an in depth account of those tales, and the way the longitude challenge was once solved. Highlights of the publication include:
- Foreword through the 15th Astronomer Royal, Martin Rees.
- specifically commissioned pictures from the nationwide Maritime Museum's archive.
- a brand new description of the collaborations and conflicts in a story of technical creativity, clinical innovation and difficult commercialism.
From an identical writer as Dava Sobel's Longitude, discovering Longitude tells a brand new tale of 1 of the nice achievements of the Georgian age, and the way it replaced our realizing of the realm.
Read or Download Finding Longitude: How Ships, Clocks and Stars Helped Solve the Longitude Problem (UK Edition) PDF
Best ships books
This can be the best Anatomy of the send books. It offers info on American crusing frigate's which extra certain books disregard. it truly is a superb creation to the U.S. army of the battle of 1812. For British readers it's a well timed reminder that HMS Shannon was once no longer the single winning Royal military Frigate of the conflict of 1812.
Tips on how to improve, function and troubleshoot 12-volt platforms with emphasis on realizing what should be fallacious with a method and the way to enhance it with a multi-stage charging process. first-class diagrams, transparent, concise writing.
The Supercarriers is a finished old evaluate with vast images, maps, drawings, and operational element, together with all air-wing deployments. It covers the entire Forrestal category supercarriers and the follow-on ships, that are primarily of a similar layout. The ebook is seriously illustrated with over 100 illustrations and maps protecting the Western Pacific, Vietnam, Mediterranean, center East, Indian Ocean, and Caribbean.
- Boat mechanical systems handbook: how to design, install, and recognize proper systems in boats
- Your First Powerboat: How to Find, Buy, and Enjoy the Best Boat for You
- Oxford Latin Dictionary
- Fatal Treasure: Greed and Death, Emeralds and Gold, and the Obsessive Search for the Legendary Ghost Galleon Atocha
Extra info for Finding Longitude: How Ships, Clocks and Stars Helped Solve the Longitude Problem (UK Edition)
You may have to live aboard or be away from your home for weeks at a time. Professional yacht captain jobs usually last no more than ﬁ ve years. Over time, owners often feel their captains become too much a member of the family, and they prefer the clearer distinction between captain and owner. When this happens, they look for a new “stranger” to take command of the yacht. INSTRUCTOR A surprising number of people buy boats of 40 feet or larger and don’t know how to drive them or how to operate the complex electronics on board.
INSURING YOURSELF If you work for a company driving a company-owned boat, you will be covered under its liability insurance. However, the same is not true if you accept a freelance boat delivery job or agree to give boat-handling instruction on a customer’s boat. This is why you become a named coinsured on the owner’s policy before you take on the work. Because of what insurance companies call “reinsurance treaties,” you cannot buy insurance to cover another person’s boat. For practical purposes this means you cannot insure a delivery customer’s boat under a policy that you purchase.
5. Have you ever held a job as a manager or supervisor? 6. Have you had any formal business training? 7. )? 8. Are you willing to go back to school to learn new skills needed to operate your business? YES NO It is possible to hire bookkeepers, mechanics, and even someone to answer the telephone. Unfortunately, few start-up businesses have the working capital to pay for these services. Instead of spending money, the entrepreneur has to revert to what is euphemistically called “sweat equity” to get things done.